Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Moe - Adopted



Name: Moe
Age: Estimated 8 - 8 1/2 years
Breed: Shih Tzu
Sex: Male (altered)
Location: Denver, CO area

Vet Info: Moe is confirmed neutered and up to date on vaccines.  He was given one year rabies vaccine on 12/21/12 and had distemper vaccine at shelter on 12/11/12.  He has not had a recent heartworm test.  Moe weighs about 20 pounds.                    

Owner Info: Moe's owner adopted him from a shelter in December 2012. He was an owner surrender due to previous owner's ill health. Moe had some vision when adopted (he had one eye) but does not now have vision as he had his other eye removed shortly after adoption due to glaucoma.  Unfortunately, his current owner now has health problems herself and she is unable to give Moe the care he needs. Moe is an indoor dog with run of the house, he is housebroken and leash trained.  Moe is good with men, women, and teenagers, but younger children may frighten him.  He is good with both male and female dogs and cats. Moe is not possessive of toys, treats, or food and has never bitten or snapped.   His owner says that Moe adapts well to new situations.

Moe's owner has written a wonderful and emotional write-up on Moe and I've shared that here:

Moe is a sweet little boy who, while at times greatly frustrated, will still respond to me when I tell him to be calm and that it's night time and everyone is asleep. Moe doesn't have much interaction with many animals since losing his sight, though he does get comfort from their presence. I have learned that I can do something to keep his interest and then he won't cry so much, but I must confess I'm not too good at this. If I could physically work with him and train him there is NO WAY I would ever consider letting him go. It is best for him so he can finish his years happy and full of life. Sadly, I have physical ailments that prevent me from tending to his special needs. We live in a two story home and it is extremely difficult for me to carry Moe up and down the stairs. I love this little guy and he deserves someone that can physically be able to handle him. It would be so much easier if we lived in a home better suited for a blind animal. It is therefore my responsibility to find him the person that is capable of seeing to his needs. Moe loves being outside except when it's too hot. Otherwise, it's definitely air conditioning for him. He also prefers rugs or carpet under his little feet. He doesn't like being on furniture at all. Moe seems to have lost interest in all the toys I can find, both ones that make noise or have an attracting odour. He loves to play mostly in the mornings. It's actually getting on the floor and tickling him and slapping the floor while he runs around burying his head and bouncing everywhere. He is definitely a morning puppy the earlier the better to be sure. He also loves to play with his towel after a bath. He loves being chased while I sit and grab him with the towel as he hops and runs past me. Then I run him dry until he gets away. We continue this either until he's dry or we both tire out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment