Sunday, November 10, 2013

Precious - In BDRA Foster Care


Name: Precious
Age: Approximately 6 years
Breed: Shih Tzu
Sex: Female (altered)
Location: Corpus Christi, TX

Vet Info:  Precious is confirmed heartworm negative and is confirmed spayed.  Precious received a one year rabies vaccination and the distemper/parvo vaccine on 12/6/13.   Precious weighs about 13 pounds.

Owner Info:  Precious is a beautiful little girl who was found roaming the streets on Halloween morning.  A Good Samaritan took her in, but is not able to keep her as she has reached the city limit for animals.  Precious was severely matted, eyes crusted shut, ear infections, toenails growing into the skin and infested with fleas.  The Good Samaritan brought her to the vet, and they found that she has ulcers in both eyes that have caused her to be completely blind, her front teeth are rotted out (she does still have her back teeth) and her bottom jaw is broken.  She will need artificial tears every day and will never regain her sight.  Her caregiver writes  "She is aged at 6 years old and is the sweetest dog.  She loves my other dogs and cats and all she wants to do is sit in my lap and be loved on. I do plan on getting her all vaccinations and getting her fixed as she looks to have been bred by her previous owners. I did find the owners, and upon talking to them, we agreed I was keeping the dog and not returning her to them because of her condition. She is on all medications she needs to be now".  Precious is an indoor dog with run of the house, she is housebroken and leash trained.  She is good with both men and women, and other dogs and cats, and currently lives with 4 other dogs and 2 cats.  She is not possessive of toys, treats, or food and has never shown any aggression.  Her caregiver writes, "even when she was on the street she just ran, she never tried to snap or bite at me".  Her caregiver says that she adapts well, and told us, "She adapts amazingly. She has been at my house only a week and has learned her way around, and where the back door is to go outside. She knows the steps already (with guidance at first, of course) and knows where her water bowl is. She knows when its bedtime and she sleeps on the bed with my other dogs. She stumbles around still but if you call her, she follows your voice instantly." Her caregiver wanted us to know that Precious does look "a little rough around the edges now" as she is unable to be groomed until she gets her vaccinations, but she is still a beautiful girl!  Precious is very sweet and very cuddly!  Her caregiver says, "This dog just wants a lap to sit in and food to eat. Besides her grooming and visual impairment, she is not a high maintenance dog. She sits at your feet when you are eating, she does not beg though. She has adapted great to me, and I am positive she would adapt great with other people. She was raised with a 6 year old girl, so I do know she had been around children."


Update 1/24/14: We've just heard from Precious's Good Samaritan and she will be moving soon.  Unfortunately, she is not able to take Precious with her.  Precious is becoming urgent!  She is able to help transport. She told us "Currently my situation has changed and I am having to move in the next month or so and I will be unable to take her with me, so I am getting slightly desperate. She is current on everything and is fixed. If you can please network her again, or update anything, i would be more than grateful!! Again, thank you so much for helping me before and now."


Update 1/30/2014: Here’s an update from Precious’s owner "She is doing great. Getting chubby (my bad)! haha. She gets along so great here and I don’t know how I’m going to give her up, it's going to kill me! All she wants to do is sleep and cuddle next to somebody. She would be the perfect dog. Her allergies act up from time to time and I was going to take her to an animal shelter I use to work at but I am so so so scared they won’t put her out for adoption because she's blind, needs dental work, a little shy (despite she opens up beautifully!). I would hate for her to be put in a cage her whole life just getting meds after meds and not able to find a home (they are a great shelter, but that is probably what they would do!)"

No comments:

Post a Comment