Thursday, June 16, 2016

Smoky - In BDRA Foster Care


Name: Smoky
Age: Estimated 5 or 6 years
Breed: Siberian Husky
Sex: Male (altered per owner, not yet confirmed)
Location: Limestone County, AL

Vet Info: Smoky is neutered per owner, but this has not yet been confirmed.  Smoky is up to date on his vaccines and is next due December 30th​.  His owner tells us that the last time he had a heartworm test, it was negative, but that he was high heartworm positive in the past.  Smoky has Progressive Retinal Atrophy and is completely blind.  He weighs about 60 pounds.

Owner Info: Smoky is a very handsome fellow whose owner is moving to another state on July 3rd and cannot take him with her.  She also tells us that she doesn't get to spend the time with him that he deserves.  She has posted Smoky but has not yet had any luck in finding him a new home.  She is very much hoping we can help.  She originally adopted Smoky from a shelter about three or four years ago.  

Smoky is an indoor dog confined to one area of the house.  He is housebroken and leash trained.  Smoky responds to his name and will follow the sound if you pat your leg.  He also knows "outside!"  

Smoky is good with men, women, and children.  His owner checked that he's good with female dogs, so we asked for more information about how he is with male dogs: ... "I have a male Yorkie and Smoky is just fine with him.  The few times I took him to the dog park, he seemed just fine around other dogs (I assume some of them were male).  For a husky, he is the most relaxed one I think I've seen but that's not saying a lot since he's the first I've ever owned.  The ONLY time I've ever seen him get aggressive is if a yappy dog gets in his face, or another dog comes after him, or he has a toy "on his person".  I only saw that occur once that I can remember.  I think it's safe to say he's totally fine around other male dogs.  I have 3 other female dogs (husky/pyrenees mix and 2 other Yorkies).  Again, he is very calm, low key, and low energy.  He needs more attention, walks, and love than I can give.  I'm sad to give him up but I think it's best for both of us."

Smoky is not possessive of toys, treats, or food.  His owner tells us that the only time he's ever snapped is when a hyper dog got near his face and he had a toy, however he rarely plays with toys.  

Smoky's owner feels he adapts well to new situations.  "He navigates very well. He uses his snout like a blind person uses a stick. He knows how to come inside and how to get to the bedroom without many problems. If you change the furniture around, he relearns."

Smoky's owner wanted us to know more about this very special fellow!  "He needs exercise but other than that (and being blind), he is in good health. When he was rescued several years ago, he was high positive for heartworms but has been cured of that via holistic medication and has been negative since after about a year of being with me....I recommend no hyper dogs and I do not know how he is with other animals like cats, rabbits, etc. Because huskies can have a high prey drive, I recommend a home with dogs or as an only dog. He is low energy and lays around a lot. He loves to go for walks/runs and is good with all people, children included." 

No comments:

Post a Comment