Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sammy - Adopted


Name: Sammy
Age: 6 years
Sex: Female (altered)
Breed: Dogue de Bordeaux Mix
Location: Connecticut

Vet Info: Sammy's rabies shot is good until March of 2015 and her distemper shot is good until December of 2013. She is HW negative. She weighs 88 pounds and has been spayed.  

Owner Info: Sammy was pulled from a high-kill shelter in Connecticut and is currently with a rescue group. She is being fostered in a home with two senior male dogs and, because Sammy is not animal-friendly, she needs a new home. She is housetrained and is overall very healthy. She is blind in one eye and has chipped and missing teeth. The rescue said: "It looks like she could have been hit by something that caused the damage." Her foster mom wrote: "Sammy is very loveable with people, including children. She is well behaved and does not jump up or play rough. Sammy is crate trained, walks well on a leash, and knows basic commands: sit, down, and stay. She has no food aggression. The only thing she does not like to have done to her is clipping her nails, but she was fine with a bath, grooming, and ear cleaning. Sammy does not like other dogs, and it appears it doesn’t matter whether they are male or female. She will bark and growl at them from a distance. I have not allowed her close to my dogs since the initial greeting, as my one male is not overly dog friendly either and needs to be alpha. Based on the initial greet, I knew Sammy would not back down. I would not risk my dogs' safety as they are very old with medical issues. While on walks in the park, she will bark at other dogs sometimes, but always “goes on alert” as if she would run towards them, so I maintain a safe distance around other dogs. As for other animals, she chases squirrels in her yard. She is extremely interested in my cat (never in same room or without a fence/gate between them though) and becomes fixated on her or where she has been. Sammy has never charged her or gotten close enough, as the cat just runs away. She is interested in my parrot, but seems a little scared of it, as she probably has not experienced a bird in a house before. I truly believe she needs to be in a home with no other pets. She has been in my home for almost three months and I still can not allow her near my dogs. Sammy has gotten used to them though, as she doesn’t bark or growl at them anymore when they walk by the room she is in."

No comments:

Post a Comment