Sunday, May 12, 2013

Stevie - In Foster Care in TX



Name: Stevie
Age: 4 years
Sex: Female (altered)
Breed: Catahoula
Location: Austin, TX

Vet Info: The vet office staff said Stevie is "pretty amazing and a really cool dog, and her owner has really doted on her." Stevie is spayed, up to date on rabies, distemper, and bordatella, and is HW negative. She was born deaf and blind but can see shadows. She is very healthy and weighs 57 pounds; she could stand to lose a few pounds but is not considered overweight. When given shots, she needs to be muzzled because she will panic but otherwise is "super sweet." 

Owner Info: Stevie is an indoor dog who is housetrained and leashtrained. She gets along well with adults and teens/older children, and also gets along with male dogs and cats. She is possessive about her food. Her owner wrote: "I've had Stevie for nearly four years, after finding her on the side of the road near Houston. Over that four years she has been a great companion but I neglected to assert my dominance. I showed her plenty of affection and we took many trips to the dog park but, as a single laid back guy, I allowed her to run loose through the house and through a dog door into the back yard as well as sleep in my bed. Four months ago my girlfriend moved in to the house and we began changing things. I soon learned through a trainer that Stevie needed to be crated most of the day and walked everyday to reduce her anxiety. These changes were implemented and Stevie has adapted very well - she is much more relaxed and happier, other than aggression displayed toward my girlfriend. Other than around her food bowl, she's never shown aggression around anyone until my girlfriend moved in and changes began to occur. She did great with her up until that point. She's always been great with people that come over for extended periods of time. Very friendly. Likes to smell their faces and play. She does great with people and other dogs at the dog park. She has snapped at my girlfriend though several times and now I have been forced to keep them separated. She never broke any skin and these were definitely just warning nips and growls that seem a lot more threatening than they actually are. She's typically very sweet. Unfortunately my girlfriend is unwilling to do any training and I am realizing that with this new living situation for Stevie, I am not willing nor do I have the time to train her on my own and maintain a satisfactory walking schedule and undertake greater responsibility. I love Stevie and we've had four good years and I've given her love and a good home, however things change and it saddens me greatly but I need to find her a new home."

Update 6/24/2013: Stevie had a new forever home all lined up and then the plans just fell apartL Stevie really needs a new home as soon as possible!  Her current owner says he is desperate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment