Thursday, July 21, 2016

Dioji


Name: Dioji (pronounced D.O.G.)
Age: 1 ½ years 
Sex: Male (not altered)
Breed: Australian Shepherd
Location: Cullman County, AL

Vet Info: Dioji is not neutered and has not been heartworm tested.  He received a one-year rabies vaccine on 6/4/16.  Dioji weighs between 20 and 30 pounds.  His good samaritan writes, "He is smaller than most Australian Shepherds I've seen. His brother is bigger than him."  

Owner Info: DOB 3/17/15. Dioji is a gorgeous half blind and deaf Australian Shepherd who was saved by a good samaritan because his owners were going to kill him.  His good samaritan has had several animals with disabilities, but she's never had a blind and deaf animal.  She knows Dioji needs more training and vetting than she's able to give.  She writes, "Circumstances beyond my control have rested on me and it has been hard to give him the time he deserves.... He deserves better than I can do."  She has had Dioji for 16 months, since he was a puppy.  

Dioji is an outdoor dog in a pen.  His good samaritan gave us more details about how he's doing:  "He has been in a pen. I fixed my basement driveway into a pen. It is 26x40. It is concrete. They had two dog houses but he chewed them up. His toys didn't last long either. I try to keep him with something to chew.  He has been in and out of the house (only had two pee accidents) but I have not trained him. I know he is smart enough to learn. He has been on a leash a few times. He rolls at first but then calms down and will walk with you. He has always been around another dog, they help to guide him even though he can see a little. He loves the companionship."

Dioji is a very sweet fellow and has never showed any aggression.  He is not possessive of toys, treats, or food.  Dioji is good with people of all ages, male dogs, and cats.  We asked how he was with female dogs, and his good samaritan wrote, "I don't know about female dogs because he hasn't been around any.  We have two male dogs. They run with him when we let them out."

Dioji's good samaritan tells us he is healthy and eats well, and gave us more information about his blindness.  "He can see out of one eye (tunnel vision) he has tried to herd the cat. He can't hear, we have a bell on him so we can hear where he is at.... I was told one eye has tunnel vision. The other eye is blind. He is deaf, although when my daughter is near he will come to her every time she calls him. She can do a high pitched voice that he must be able to hear." 

Dioji's good samaritan wants us to know what a sweet boy he is and how she is hoping we can find him a loving family.  "He is a good and loving dog. I have had several blind animals but never one that is deaf also. He needs someone that has the time and commitment to love him and train him. I don't know how to help him. He deserves better and so does his dog brother. I used to be able to afford the vet, I am embarrassed to say I can't afford that now. He was the runt, so he is smaller. He stands a little above my knee which is 16-17 inches. He loves to run. l hope you can find the best family for him, he deserves it."

No comments:

Post a Comment