Monday, July 21, 2014

Basil - In BDRA Foster Care


Name: Basil
Age: Estimated 6 years
Breed: Mixed Breed
Sex: Female (not altered)
Location: Knoxville/Johnson City, TN area

Vet Info: Basil has not been vetted. She weighs approximately 45 pounds.

Owner Info: Basil is a beautiful and very sweet girl who was found under a shed behind an apartment complex. Her caregiver is moving July 31st to an apartment that doesn't allow pets, and is not able to take Basil. Basil needs rescue before then! Her caregiver has posted flyers and has been using social media, but has had no luck in finding a new home for Basil. She has had Basil for two months and is very much hoping for a loving and caring new home for Basil. Basil is an outdoor dog without restrictions, she is housebroken and leashed trained. She is good with people of all ages (she prefers women to men but is fine with men!) and both male and female dogs. She's a smart girl, and has already learned sit and come, and is working on stay! Basil has never shown aggression and will cower on occasion when others approach. She has never bitten or snapped and is "literally the calmest dog I've ever met". She's made a lot of progress with her caregiver, who writes, "She was leash trained in three days. House broken in two weeks. When I found her as a stray, it took a month before she ate from our hands. Another week before I could get her into my apartment, which I had to trick using chicken. Starting absolutely afraid of me, after a week of living with me she won't leave my side. She's learned that our door is home so instead of walking her, as I get ready I let her out the door and she comes back in through the window within ten minutes. The second week I tried to take her to dinner and she was afraid and hiding from everyone we passed. Within a few more weeks we were celebrating the 4 of July in World's Fair Park with thousands of people and fireworks, without a leash, and had zero problems."​  Basil may have some health issues and her caregiver can not afford to take her to a vet, although she may be able to split the cost. Her caregiver says that Basil eats and drinks double the amount of any other dog she's had, and she's not sure, but Basil may have respiratory problems. When she runs, she squeaks but not like asthma. She makes thick sounds constantly while breathing. It sounds as if her lungs are punctured or her windpipe damaged in some way."  Basil's caregiver is not 100% sure she's visually impaired, but thinks she may be​. She writes, "She doesn't respond to much and she sniffs everywhere she goes. If you move in front of her she doesn't react either. Also she always likes to have her back against something (a wall, a chair, my leg, etc.). I'm not sure that she is, but it's a possibility". Her caregiver wants us to know, ​"She seems to have had a rough life so far and I would really really like to see her go to a great and loving home. I think she would be wonderful for small children, the elderly, or mentally handicapped. She is so patient and calm. After a few weeks I started testing her before putting up any posts or taking her into public so I lightly ran into her, flicked her, pushed her in certain places, bit her, etc. and she only reacted with whimpers in places I assume are already damaged. There was never violent responses. I had a friend pretend to break in to see how protective she is: she isn't."​

No comments:

Post a Comment