Friday, July 18, 2014

Lucy - Staying With Owner


Name: Lucy
Age:10 years  
Sex: Female (altered)
Breed: Great Dane
Location: Near Columbus, Ohio

Vet Info: Lucy is up to date on her shots. She is spayed and heartworm negative. She is healthy and blind (the vet is not sure of the reason for her blindness). She can't see well so is snappy but is mostly a "typical Great Dane." 

Owner Info: The owners got Lucy three years ago from their granddaughter. The granddaughter rescued Lucy and kept her for a while, but has moved to a place that does not allow dogs. The current owners are an older couple and now are not able to care for such a large dog. Lucy weighs 110 pounds and is ten years old. Lucy is an indoor dog who is housebroken and leash trained. She knows the following commands: rest, sit, stay and here. She is nervous and has nipped at one of the owners who reached down to pet her. She also bit one of the owners when she was trying to get a harness on her. The owner wrote the following about Lucy: "She needs to be with someone kind and patient. She was very dependent on my granddaughter and it took her a bit to transfer to me. She mainly follows me around, sort of like having a two year old in the house except when she is asleep (which is a lot of the time). When I take her outside she just sticks by me. The only time she has been off our property was when she was tracking me (I had left her in the house and gone to a neighbor's, and then my husband let her out). Sometimes I feel like I have to stay around so that she eats or pees or whatever as she gets anxious when she doesn't know where I am. Her favorite thing is riding in the car, and she likes to be brushed. Her annoying habits are chewing (her dog bed cover and the dog hammock in the car) and barking when she hears something like a horn or knocking on the TV. Our other dogs don't like her. I guess they are afraid because she is so big. She is not at all aggressive with them, but they growl at her. But she has a fine time playing with my sister's small corgi who is feisty and keeps on teasing her. My daughter kept her with her cat and I think Lucy never figured out that there was a cat around. Squirrels run right in front of her and she doesn't see them. So I think she could be with other animals." Lucy would be best in a home with no small children.


Update 8/23/2014: Lucy's owner said that Lucy recently spent time with her daughter, and Lucy got along great with the kittens that were there! Also, she said the vet thinks Lucy is younger than 9 or 10 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment