Monday, October 13, 2014

Gracie - In Foster Care

 

Name: Gracie
Age: 8 months
Sex: Female (altered)
Breed: Australian Shepherd
Location: Arkansas

Vet Info: The vet said that Gracie is a sweet girl who is healthy except for being blind and deaf (congenital condition). She was recently spayed and is up to date on shots. She has not yet been heartworm tested.

Owner Info: Gracie has "episodes" that her current owner has been told could be seizures, and so she needs an MRI. The episodes are triggered when light is turned on in a dark room. Gracie's current owner cannot afford any specialty care, so wants her to have a home where someone can afford her medical care. Gracie is 30 pounds right now and was going to be euthanized by her breeder until her current owner stepped in to adopt her. Gracie is housebroken and gets along with people, dogs and cats. Gracie is a wonderful puppy who is in need of a loving home!


Update 2/25/15: Gracie is still in need of a new home!  Her owner has worked very hard to help Gracie with her issues, but feels she is unable to meet Gracie's needs as she cannot afford specialty care or more vetting, and she is becoming desperate as Gracie has cut herself.  She is hoping to find Gracie "someone who can do for her what I cannot".  
She's given us more details about Gracie's issues:

I have been trying to not turn on a light when Gracie first enters a room and definitely don't turn one on in the room where her crate is kept. She also goes into these episodes when she first goes outside if it is daylight. But I have also noticed that if she bumps into things it can trigger the episodes too. I've been trying to be very conscious of the lighting as well as the volume of the television. The light changes from the television can also trigger as well as the sound if its too loud. I'm trying  everything, every tip and suggestion that anyone offers. One of my friends has an anonymous donor who paid for Gracie to have a Muffins Halo. But, it didn't do too much to alleviate the issues, she isn't flinching.  She immediately goes into the spinning and running frantically.  So frantically that she bounces into walls, or furniture or if outside the fence or house. It's really worrisome because I'm so afraid she will hurt herself. 


Update 3/31/15: The OS Team has heard from Gracie's owner and Gracie is still in need of a new home or rescue:

"I just got home from another hospital stay and it’s been hard on Gracie. My Dad went to the house several times a day to let the dogs out to potty and play for a while. But it was still just too much for Gracie to be without someone. I have just gotten to the point that it is far more than I can manage trying to care for Gracie at the same time I am trying to gain my strength back. I have just reached the point that I need someone to take my Gracie. She needs some anti anxiety meds at the very least, but also someone who can physically devote time to her and I cannot do that."

No comments:

Post a Comment