Sunday, August 2, 2015

Azia - In Memory


Name: Azia
Age: 6 1/2 years
Breed: American Foxhound
Sex: Female (not altered)
Location: Baltimore, MD

Vet Info: Azia is not spayed and is not up to date on vaccines.  She was tested for HW in April 2014.  It was negative and her owner was given one dose of preventative at that time.  She has not received further preventative there.  Azia weighs between 45 - 55 pounds.

Owner Info: Azia is a beautiful little girl whose owner is not able to care for her in the way that she needs and deserves.  Her owner writes that Azia "is a wonderful companion, but I lost my job and can not afford to give her the care she so desperately deserves.  I want her to have the best quality of life possible as I can no longer provide this for her...Please help." Azia is an indoor dog with run of the house, she is housebroken and leash trained.  Azia knows the commands "heel" and "no", and loves to be told, "that's my girl!" when she is "really being good."  Azia is described as shy, good with men, women, and cats, and currently lives with two cats her owner is also trying to rehome.  Her owner gave us more details about how she is with other dogs:  "Azia has not been around many dogs so her personality around other dogs is questionable.  She once ran our neighbor's dog back into their yard so I would be on the safe side and say no she is not particularly friendly with other dogs.  I have never taken her to a dog park or really exposed her to other dogs unfortunately.  But now that she is vision impaired, I think her personality has gotten even more calmer around everything".  She is not possessive of toys, treats, or food. Azia has shown aggression in the past, but her owner tells us it's not normal for her and was not shown consistently.  "She may be aggressive out of fear but that is not typical of her character. She loves belly rubs and is playful at times. She loves to be cuddled or lay next to you on a couch, bed or rug.  When we first moved to our apartment, getting use to the change, she did not like anyone to get close to me. But now that her vision is impaired, I think she may be scared and a little unpredictable until she is comfortable." Azia's owner believes she is partially blind and that it might be getting worse.  She tells us Azia has cloudy pupils, but she cannot afford to have her properly evaluated. "I believe she is scared because she does not know what is happening to her". She also tells us Azia's teeth are sensitive, but overall, her health is OK. Azia's owner wants us to know that "she is truly a good dog and companion, it saddens me to have to give her up and this will haunt me for awhile. I just hope that she can be well taken care of as I will try not to worry. Pictures of Azia below are when earlier prior to a move but in the past 2 years. Thank you for your consideration...I really hope your organization can find the right fit for her, she deserves to be happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment