Thursday, October 8, 2015

Missy - In BDRA Foster Care

 

Name: Missy
Age: Estimated 6-7 years
Breed: Bichon Mix
Sex: Female (not altered)
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Vet Info: As far as we know, Missy is not spayed, is not up to date on vaccines, has not had a recent heartworm test.  Missy's good samaritan writes, "She may have cushings (some hair loss, not confirmed by blood work) and she has tumors that have not been tested for cancer."  Missy weighs 21 pounds.

Owner Info: Missy is a beautiful girl with a sad story.  Her owner went into the hospital and Missy was alone for four days.  Missy was saved by a good samaritan, and she tells us,  "Previous owner is hospitalized and needs to go to a nursing home. I went out with a locksmith when I learned of situation; she had been alone 4 days."  Missy's good samaritan is not able to keep Missy and is desperately hoping for rescue.  Missy was very upset and frightened when she was found, and her good samaritan has brought her to the vet and to be groomed.  She wants to give Missy this chance to find a new home!  Missy appears completely blind, and her good samaritan tells us,  "I'm told she doesn't make tears and that her eyes pigmented over; I'm told that her eye lashes may be growing inward and that surgery may help." Missy is an indoor dog who is crated, she is housebroken and leash trained.  She's a smart little girl, and is learning the commands, Step, Kisses, Go for a walk, Dinner time, Get your leash, and Up (she loves to be held and will jump into your arms or onto your lap!) Missy is described as outgoing, and is not possessive of toys, treats, or food.  Her good samaritan has a large lab, and she gave us more details about how they are together:  "I have a 60 lb yellow lab mix and he is tolerating her; he's cautious of her. She follows him on walks. He is trained without a leash to voice commands and she follows him. She listens for him and likes to follow him....Growled at my dog when she was sitting on my lap once, but now they both can sit almost on top of me, each trying to get closer." Missy is also learning her new routine!  "She was never crate-trained, but I didn't want to give her the run of the house because I don't know her at all. My husband was trying to put her back into the crate and she didn't want to go in and she snapped at him and got his hand. Small nip, one small puncture wound. My husband wasn't fazed. I have been holding her and putting her down inside the crate before she knows what happens so she is fine with me. She doesn't like the crate, but is ok. It's been a week and she is tolerating it....She likes the car and the groomers and the vet. She wags her tail and approaches dogs and people very friendly, loves to be held and petted. She likes walks and listens when I give her warnings or call her back - I have been using an extender leash. she responds to tugs on the leash and seems to understand "Step" She seems to have learned my laundry room and den living area and to navigate steps into the kitchen." Missy's good samaritan wants to share how much progress she's made in only a week!  "As you can see from the photos, she loves being a lap dog and gets comfortable and falls asleep almost immediately in your lap.  She is fine with my dog.  She does the happy dance whenever you talk to her.  She is able to do the steps and walks on the leash ok, but needs guidance....She is a little love, loves the car and has started to give me kisses on demand. It's been a week and she trusts me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment