Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Panda - In Foster Care


Name: Panda
Age: 2 ½ months
Sex: Male (not altered)
Breed: Great Pyrenees Mix
Location: Tulsa, OK area

Vet Info:  Panda is not yet neutered and has not had a heartworm test.  He has had his first set of vaccines and will be due for his next vaccines in three weeks.  He is on flea and heartworm preventative and has been dewormed.  Panda weighs about 10 pounds currently. They also gave us more info on Panda's eye condition:
"Panda is completely blind, and he has no chance of regaining vision. We believe he had glaucoma at a very young age which caused him to lose his vision as it was not treated. However, his current eye pressures are normal (they believe that his eyes became so damaged that they are no longer able to produce aqueous solution, which is why the pressures are back to normal) and he is not painful. However, there is a chance that the glaucoma will come back, and at that point the treatment will be either enucleation or evisceration with insertion of a prosthesis."

Owner Info: DOB around 2/14/15. Panda is an adorable little puppy who was brought into a teaching hospital with his litter for evaluation.  When his owners realized he was blind, they elected to surrender him.  He is currently staying with a veterinary student who is hoping to find him rescue!  She has had him for one week. Panda is an indoor dog who is crated, he is not yet housebroken or leash trained, but he's doing great with his training!  His caregiver gave us more details:  "We are working on training. He is very responsive to me and his name - i.e. he happily comes when I call "Panda come!". We are working on "no" - I can't tell if he knows the word no, or if he gets distracted by my voice when he is doing something wrong and stops because he heard me. I put his harness on him for the first time yesterday, and we are working on leash training. He is comfortable with my fenced in yard and runs around like a happy puppy in it, and I am slowly trying to get him used to other environments. I would say he is about 70% house broken...when he has an accident, it is usually my fault as I didn't get there in time."  Panda is not possessive of toys, treats, or food and has never shown aggression. Panda is good with men and women and both male and female dogs.  His caregiver writes that he loves her 50 pound female dog!!  She wants us to know that she didn't say he's good with cats or children because she's never seen Panda with them, but she says she has "no reason to believe that he wouldn't do fantastic with kids/small dogs/cats, as he seems to love everyone/thing he is presented with."  She tells us Panda is happy, smart, sweet and he's doing great!  "I have only had him about a week and he has adapted so well to my house! He LOVES his crate, and he is comfortable in my yard and runs around and plays. He knows where his water is in my living room, and he knows where my chair is when he wants to snuggle. I have a little room set up for him on my enclosed porch that is his, and he happily hangs out there on his dog bed and knows where his food and water is. He will also go in and out (down the small set of steps) on his own to go potty when I'm directing him. I honestly forget he's blind half the time.... I love this puppy and would keep him if I could, however my dog is old and cranky and I want him to have a home where he can bond with any other pets. I am also about to start my clinical year of vet school, and I know that I can't give him the time and attention he deserves long term. Every rescue around here that I have contacted has dismissed us because he is blind, and I just want to find him a loving home, wherever that may be. I really appreciate any help you can provide in finding this sweet boy a home."

No comments:

Post a Comment